Sunday, January 20, 2013

Home is where the love is.

When you move into a new city or simply even a new apartment you might tend to feel a little odd. You were so used to having a certain space and now you have to get used to your new living area. Sometimes you can feel homesick or just down. This is why it is extremely important to decorate your apartment wisely. You should make it feel like your home, something you want to go back to after having a long day. Even if the space you are living in is temporary, it really does affect your mood. I have realized this in past years that I have started living alone. At first I simply bought all the basic needs an apartment needs such as furniture, TV, tables,etc.. Thinking to myself "Okay I am only going to be living here for a short period of time so I don't really need to invest in decorations." This is where I went wrong. Throughout time I started to feel that my apartment felt empty and that there was a lot of extra space. I never enjoyed staying in, feeling that I always had to be out and would only come home (If I could call it that) when I needed to. Feeling that this space of mine was not a home but just a place I had to stay in. I slowly by slowly started decorating, thinking Okay maybe if I fill in the empty spaces then it won't feel as empty. I started putting up pictures of my friends and family, I also put up several paintings in different rooms. I changed the curtains to a more lively colour, I added many pillows, giving my living room a more "comfort feel" to it. I also bought many candles and have laid them out in different areas of my apartment. I feel that lighting candles gives such a soothing and calming feeling. All this has really changed the way I feel about my apartment and I feel that is has become more of a home to me. Basic things such as adding flowers can really make a huge difference. If you also feel the same way about your place I suggest you give it a try. Especially when living in a city like Geneva you can sometimes have this "cold" feeling so it is very important to make your place feel more like a home, because at the end of the day it is where you spend the majority of your time. I also recommend going for more neutral colour rather then dull colours because they truly have a negative effect making a person feel trapped in a sense.








No comments:

Post a Comment